Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Extinction of Print

After reading this article, I do agree with the author on most of his points. I do think that print will become obsolete in the not too distant future. Coming from the technological age, I do understand that the internet and technological sources are much more common in day to day life rather than books and newspapers. When working on a school project or looking to reference anything, I immediately turn to the internet. Rarely do I ever step foot in a library to use it for it's intended purpose. I do go to get a quiet work environment but I don't always use the books and periodicals. Often I find myself just using the library's computer lab, just like the author mentioned in the article about the library he was visiting.

As far as news goes, I get most of my information from t.v. or the internet. I still do pick up a local paper every now and then just for a change of pace but I definitely do not rely on it to keep me up to date.

I do think that it's important to continue to require students to read paper books and/or articles. People get a completely different experience reading a book and reading a summary online. Also like the article said, the internet usually only provides bits and pieces of what real books actually have to offer. People are in such a hurry these days that they have no time to sit down and take the time to read something that may take more than a few minutes. On the other hand, I do think it's important for kids to be able to listen and watch also. I just think reading and seeing it on print adds a whole new dimension.

No comments: